Thursday, February 28, 2008

vegetables


So, I was reading an article about coniferous vegetables the other day. It was amazing the findings on these vegetables and health, especially their ability to lower the chances of certain cancers. What I came away with, after reading this and other articles is that we just don't consume enough veggies. So, Andra and I are starting a "Salad-a-Day" campaign. We are both trying to eat a salad for lunch each day, in order to increase our vegetable intake. I am also going to try to consciously increase my coniferous vegetable intake. These are vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, brussle spouts, cabbage....there are a few other that are easily accessible in the us. Anyways. One day we might just write a book about it, a salad cook book. I was just impressed by the magnitude of the articles I found telling of the benefits of eating appropriate quantities of veggies, so I thought I would share it with you all, and let you know how I plan on upping my quantities. If anyone has any easy great tasting salad ideas let me know. Good luck consuming your veggies! And yes, this is for the boys just as much as for the girls. Eating 5 or more coniferous veggie servings/week significantly lessened the occurence of prostate cancer.

***A great salad I had at MC D's yesturday Asain salad
Mixed greens, snow peas, red pepper, edamame (soy beans), orange glazed chicken, sliced almonds, sesame seed dressing. Add some cauliflower and you have your coniferous veggie

17 comments:

somestratt said...

oh, it also had mandarin oranges

Cindy said...

I need to do better at this. It's not even that I don't like veggies--I really do. It's just that when I'm under stress (and when am I not??) they are the first thing to be forgotten....

Nathan and Margaret said...

Some daffynicions. . . coniferous vegetables= vegetables that fall out of pine trees. It could happen. Sometimes people throw carrots and cauliflower into pine trees. . .and they fall out later.

Luciferous vegetables . . .vegetable from Satan.

Cruciferous vegetables. . .broccoli and cauliflower and such.

somestratt said...

Oh marg, that is hilarious. I am glad that someone knew the real name, but I am laughing for real out loud right now. As for me I am going to go eat my "coniferous" vegetables in my "combine." Yes, someone finally informed me that it is a "compound," that I want to live in and not a grain storage building. I wonder how your body would do with luciferous veggies though?

somestratt said...

I am still laughing so hard about my own shortcoming here. So stinking funny.

abstowe said...

First - Marg, how did you get so smart????
Second - I was too hurried to eat a salad for lunch today so I had left overs, but substituted a really nice stir fry for dinner. Lots if coniferous vegetables. Ha Ha. I had a really good laugh over that.
I vote we go live inside a harvester and throw veggies into trees.
Also, I am going to start exercising in the morning. Uggh......

Apache Watsons said...

Jenny and me was up ta muntgumruh to the costcos and seen this here display withuh 6 hunnerd dollar sooper blinder an she was puttin the veggies in an makin icecream and supes and stuff an it blindid all the seeds ups to do a nuclear vitamins chain nutrishin reacshin and we wantid to buy it and makeum but wes kinda poor that day and endind up just goen home wantin veggie icedream but we aint made none.

I am Sam said...

i have laughed harder at this series, between the satan veggies and father-o-blades bammi-isms... what a creative lot we have. then there's my absolute lack of following capialization rules. i CapataliZe when i Feel lIke iT.

somestratt said...

I agree that this has been a hilarious chain. I am glad that my incompetence has brought such happiness and satisfaction to all.

Jeremy said...

pEwny LetTerS, bEnd YouRselveS tO my WHIMS!!!! yOu ExcrEte frOm My fingerS so Run and Do mY wiLL.

Cindy said...

Laila--I thought a combine was a piece of farm equipment that cuts stuff! I think a grain storage building is a silo, and I don't want to live in one of those either! But a compound, on the other hand, a nice beachfront compound---I might go for that!

Cindy said...

I just remembered that someone sent me an e-mail kind of about this earlier this week. I forgot and deleted it, but you can see the same info on this blog: http://ambersbug.gaia.com/blog/2007/11/what_is_eaten_in_one_week

Kind of sobering in several ways....

Cindy said...

Ok, that link didn't work--try this one:
http://tinyurl.com/228wpe

And great daffinicions, Marg!!

Apache Watsons said...

we get bags of edemames and cali and jenny will typically go through a bag or so every week or so. good snack, good protein.

cindy baldwin said...

OK you guys, I hadn't thought to check the comments on this post until last night when my mom was telling some of her friends about the vegetables that Satan eats... (haha) I have been laughing out loud all the way through! You guys are darn witty. I'm proud to claim you.

Nathan and Margaret said...

Dang. We are witty!!! Why didn't we notice it before??? Oh, yeeeeessssssssss. We've always suspected it. . ... . . .strooooonnnnnnnggggllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! I read back through this stuff and died laughing. At Jeremy bending the puny letters to his will And Satan sending a new form of temptaion to the earth in the form of cauliflower.

Cindy said...

speaking of cauliflower--we bought orange cauliflower and purple cauliflower the other night at Kroger. They were so cool. Right until we put them (cooked) into a dish with alfredo sauce, and the alfredo sauce picked up a little purple tint. That was certainly a vegetable from Satan.... ;)