Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My Little Orphans


When Cindy Lynn was little she liked to pretend that she was an orphan. I am not sure if that was a reflection on my parenting, or just a plot device. Most of her play centered around the tree in our front yard, from with an old battered pot was suspended. Someone driving down our street once remarked that it was obvious that a tidy yard wasn't as important to us as our children's fun. I was surprised--I had actually stopped seeing the pot hanging from the tree after a little while...

So today I went out to see what fun was being had in the 80 degree weather by my little people. They were all sitting in the hammock deeply engrossed in some terrific adventure, and were more than happy to tell me about it. And then tell me more. And more still. The gist of the story was that Rachel & Jenna were both orphaned Indians, and Jared was an orphaned white man. And they had to work as cooks in the Indian kitchens.

I hope this is a healthy thing, my children's desire to pretend they are orphans...

4 comments:

abstowe said...

I always told mom that I was sure she adopted me. That was my attention getting mechanism back in the good ole days. My kids have not tried to pull that one on me yet.
I am soooo jealous of your 80 degree weather in DECEMBER!!!!!

Cindy said...

LOL. I have the scars to prove that these kids are *not* adopted! (Nor did they come from the special cloning facility!)

It is beautiful weather. But I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a week of steady rain. I am so worried about my well!

cindy baldwin said...

Hey... I have whole theories about the importance of being orphaned in playing as a kid. Ask me sometime and I will tell them to you.

Cindy said...

As long as it's only that "pretending" to be an orphan is important...not actually "being" an orphan!

;)