Thursday, January 24, 2008

calling for advice

So, I need advice. I want my house to have a good spirit. However, that seems to be an impossible achievement. "Why?" you may ask. Well. In one word I would describe it as "HUNTER." The kids seems unable 85% of the time to be capable to say anything without a negative edge to his voice. Also, he is so sure of himself, that it makes him sure that no one else can do anything the right way (mostly Lilly) and he must make sure to tell her of each of these things, in a condescending edgy voice "Well...You can't do..." I would say that maybe I am an example of these qualities. However, I truly feel like I try to use a kind or at least a level voice. And I definitely don't call attention to everything that the kids cannot do correctly, nor do I try with the adults in our household. I am constantly so frustrated. It helps that Hunter is in full day Kindergarten, however, it just starts the minute he returns home (or wakes up in the morning) if he is actually interacting with the family. So, I risk everyone thinking my son is a beast and that I am a failure parent in hopes of hopefully getting some ideas.

18 comments:

abstowe said...

The only thing I can think of is the super nanny thing about power and control. I have heard over and over how much Hunter LOVES to argue about who is right, or why he is right. I almost think you should buy a whistle and blow it once as a warning, twice for go to time out for 5 minutes and every extra time you blow on it is an additional minute, so you don't have to talk about it at all - thus removing the power struggle.

somestratt said...

Hmm, not a bad idea
He does love to argue the point

Apache Watsons said...

And the Lord commanded me, Nephi: "SLAY HIM!!!"
Hope that helps.

Cindy said...

Ben--LOL!!!! You are so bad!

somestratt said...

trust me, the thought has crossed my mind, but until I feel the spirit truly whisper it to me, I'll keep my sward in its holster

somestratt said...

or sheath

Nathan and Margaret said...

Oh my gosh, you guys are hilarious!!! I think its odd that Lai has BOTH a holster and sheath for her sword. Ben would know. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with Laila? I think it might be a case of sword storage overkill!

somestratt said...

ha ha marg! It is the fact that I can either use my sword as a gun or a sword. I hold my holster on my right side for quick gun draw action, and I keep my sheath on my left side for sword necessities.

somestratt said...

it would be kinda ackward to draw a sword from your right side don't you think, unless it was a gun you names "Sword"

Jeremy said...

YAH I tried to simulate pulling a sword from a sheath on my right side. Felt really wierd. But then you must have the needed practice to conquer that seeing as you own them.

Val, just Val said...

I believe that Tasers are inexpensive enough for both parents and Lily to have one!

Cindy said...

Val, I am ROFL! Can't you hear it---"Mom, don't taser me!"

Val, just Val said...

It's not the "Mom don't taser me" that you are looking for it's the "you don't have to taser me again Lily" you're looking for!

somestratt said...

Ok, now you guys are just being silly

Val, just Val said...

Laila,

In all seriousness you might try Andra's suggestion at the top of the page. Either that or give him to one of the twins for a year.

Val

somestratt said...

Val, in a sense I have emplimented Andra's idea. I explained to Hunter that he has 3 new rules. 1-Be kind 2-Don't whine, 3-Don't argue. When he breaks any of these rules he gets an immediate time out of 5 minutes. Then, each time he argues or whines because he got the time out he gets another minute. It is a pretty funny conversation, or lack of one I would say. He hates it, but he hasn't seemed to explode quite as much as he used to. Oh, and by the way, Heavenly Father obviously didn't send Hunter to either of the twins because he wanted him to be able to LIVE.

Apache Watsons said...

hee hee hee, oh stop!!

Val, just Val said...

Love you Ben!