Thursday, November 8, 2007

On Being a Watson


I have co-written a hymn with a friend of mine. He was getting ready to print a copy for me and asked, "Now you want it to say 'Cindy M. Ray,' don't you? I'm sure he was surprised by the quickness--and the intensity--of my response. I definitely did not want it to say that-- I wanted it to say Cindy W. Ray instead. I explained to him that being a Watson has a lot of meaning for me. (And being a Watson woman still more! ;) ) When I married Russ I took his name because I love him. But believe me, I am nothing like a Ray! I am sometimes envious of my sisters in law--that they bear the name I love. I am still a Watson to my very core. I am a Watson in my extroversion, in my passion, in my love of big family gatherings and the ocean. (And big family gatherings at the ocean!) I am a Watson in my love of the farm, my need to be right, and in my stubborn unwillingness to be controlled. I heard Rachel telling Jenna very importantly the other day "I pick up stuff with my feet because I am a Watson." Cindy Lynn wrote a lovely essay a couple of years ago on being a Watson, and if you want to you can read it here: http://cindylouwho2006.livejournal.com/2006/06/05/
Here's to being Watson. Not necessarily an easy thing to be, but always, (by definition) interesting.

5 comments:

cindy baldwin said...

Hear, hear!!!

somestratt said...

Only too well said! What is it about being watson that LOVES to be smashed against a zillion other people, preferrably with a little sand? Oh I can't wait. Thanks for the great write up of how I think most of us feel Cindy. Of course, maybe Val isn't truely a Watson and WE are giving him headaches (and those watson kids of his!!!)

Nanna said...

Cindy,

That's a fabulous picture! And I love the "Elijah Chair" on the front row! I haven't seen that one before. Do you have others of the wedding gathering, especially in Hendersonville? We didn't have our camera with us and we have no pictures! Please send whatever you have!

abstowe said...

Ramona,
When I am having nursing time (the only time I get to sit anymore), later today, I'll dig up what I have and send them.

Cindy, once a Watson, always a Watson!!!
Do you think Mom felt the same way about being a Riggs?

Cindy said...

Ramona--when you're here remind me and I'll burn you a cd of what I have.

Andra--I have no idea of whether or not mom identified strongly with being a Riggs. And unfortunately we can't ask her! I think that Sean really didn't understand because 1)his last name is Johnson and it's just too common to be really meaningful, and 2)Katie's family is so dysfunctional that it's not like she wants to relate strongly to them.